Tony and I have started making more of an effort and top priority to get up early and do our devotions and quiet times. As I sit this morning journaling in my warm, comfy bed I write out my desire to be a better wife and mom. More patient, less flying off the handle,
showing and
communicating my love and affection more, more fun and spontaneous... The list goes on and on. Then I went in to wake up my son for school. He was not happy, he threw a fit about his outfit choice (hello, he's 1!), he threw a fit and got put in timeout twice, we rushed out the door to stay on time..... Nothing of my prayers and journal writing was in me once I put my bible and journal down and got out of my bed.... But God.
I come sit at my desk, feeling defeated (and it's only Monday) and open my email. My sweet Jesus who is so sweet and quick to comfort and assure me, there was my weekly devotion from
Thrive Moms with the perfect timing and perfect message for me this morning....
I have this scripture hanging in our playroom, and I look at it constantly through the week. Every time I read it, I can't help but wonder if there was a typo in that scripture. When I read this for myself, it says "My flesh and my heart WILL fail.". There's no maybe about it. It will happen and does happen. I fall short on a consistent basis. I'm a failure. My heart fails me, my flesh fails me.
BUT GOD.
There's the silver lining. But God. Constantly in scripture we are given that beautiful shining hope. We are humans, we fail....BUT GOD. Today I will fail my kids, BUT GOD. Today I will fail my husband, BUT GOD. Today I will fail God, BUT GOD.
I find myself thinking "I will fail and I'm not good enough, so what's the point of even trying?". What if God thought that about us?? He knows we will fail but He continues to chase after us, cover us with His grace, pick up the pieces of us and turn us into something extraordinarily beautiful. That's what Him being your strength and portion are.
Every time I lose my temper, He is my strength. Every time I doubt myself, He is my portion. Every time. Every single time.
That's a promise that I need a reminder of daily. He is my strength because I can't do it on my own. He is my portion because I'm simply not enough.
Precious sisters, rest in that promise today. Walk into your week knowing that even though you WILL fail, He is your strength and your portion. Through Him we are the extraordinarily amazing mothers he calls us to be. Be intentional in the way you are a mother, wife and friend this week.
Our challenge for you: allow His grace to cover your flesh so that you can show grace to your children. Let them see you fail, and that you have to reach out to him for strength. Let the "But God" ring in your heart and know that you CAN do it all through Him and Him alone.
I had a not so great morning and feel defeated not having been able to hold on to what I had wanted and journaled and prayed for so hard... But God. But God knows my heart and He will do a work in me and in my heart... It's not going to come to me overnight (it may, but I doubt it)... It's going to take time and effort, effort and discipline for not exploding when I'm stressed and can't handle another tantrum.... But God will be there to help me. He is my strength and my portion. What a sweet promise!
You can go to Thrive website and sign up for their weekly devotional.
|
|
Thanks for sharing...such a great reminder. Looking forward to getting to know you better in 2014!! :) I blog too, so feel free to stop on over. :) www.alexandtonya.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete