Thursday, October 23, 2014

Stop the Mommy Wars

I was going to do a light and funny post today because I haven't done one in a while... But then I overheard some moms in the bathroom the other day complaining about/judging some of their other mom friends... and I just can't keep quiet (like that surprises you).

I guess I had this naive thought that when I became I mom there was this united team front or comradery of moms. Sadly, though, I see less of that and more of the mom vs. mom thinking. Why are we against each other? Why all the judgment?

It's a never ending mommy war for almost every mom/parenting decision. Stay at home vs. Working mom; Breastfeeding vs. Formula feeding (and how long is appropriate to breastfeed); Cry it out vs. Co-sleeping; Homeschool vs. Private school vs. Public school; Organic only diet vs. Happy meals; Homemade baby food vs. Food Pouches; Cloth diapers vs. Disposable diapers; Vaccinations, Circumcisions; How much TV (or no TV); Spanking; Timeouts and timeins; Pacifiers and loveys; How and When you potty train; Play dates... and the list goes on!

Being a mom is hard! The hardest job in the world. It doesn't matter if you work or stay home, being a mom is hard work. It pulls at our heartstrings everyday, it makes us question every decision we make, it consumes our identity... For these reasons we should be united and support and encourage each other for being moms and being the best we know how to be. No wonder it's so easy to feel insecure as a new mom when there is so much judgment for every parenting decision we make.

I just need to say to you, momma friends, that God has equipped you to be the best mom for your child/children. No one else would make a better momma to yours because God gave you to each other for a purpose and He will equip and enable. Now knowing that, we have no right to judge or question another mom's parenting on any topic for any reason. We don't have to all do it the same - we just have to support each other in what we do in loving our children.

Pics are from a similar post HERE :)



2 comments:

  1. Agree! There is always mom bashing in some form or another. The most recent I have seen floating around is the article that talks about working moms and their stresses. The article says that most working moms cry alone at least once a week. As a stay at home mom, I can say the same thing...at least once a week! Since I homeschool 3 of my kids I only get 1 hour of alone time 4 days a a week. That is only 4 hours a week for me to recharge. That one hour comes after sitting in traffic for over an hour trying to get 4 other kids to school on time (only 1 is mine). Those 4 kids do not get along well most days, so I am super stressed by the time I get to my hour. I get bogged down by feeling like I am failing one or all of my kids. Sometimes I can only see the bad. I get way more criticism than support from other...especially other moms. Most days I walk around feeling like a failure. Some days I feel like just giving up for the day...or week. Why is it so hard to be supportive? I just want to scream, "can't we all get along?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, let us know how we can pray for you!